The Rural Landscape Through Infrared Photography

Here is an assortment of landscape images I shot recently on my converted 350D.

Always keep an eye open for interesting signs

I always look for interesting contrasts between objects in the scene

The magic hour before sunset and after sunrise is still magick in IR

I also look for foreground/background tie ins or contrasts

You need to look closely in the landscape sometimes for interesting content, such as the building

Sometimes a location will yield several shots

This can be especially the case if you try verticals and horizontals

Wider angle shots can work nicely

As can detail shots of the same scene

Sometimes you can create interesting images from small details

Small towns often have interesting old buildings that have old signage on them

Rural town parks can often provide great locations

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “The Rural Landscape Through Infrared Photography”

1. Dave (PAramanDecember 20, 2009 at 8:04 am #

Some great compositions and effects if IR photography

• Wayne CosshallDecember 20, 2009 at 8:10 am #

Thanks Dave.

2. rafiDecember 20, 2009 at 11:46 am #

You know I’m an avid lover of IR but, you have a few gorgeous shots here..

• Wayne CosshallDecember 20, 2009 at 12:04 pm #

Thanks Rafi. Appreciated.

3. Geri LuDecember 20, 2009 at 3:30 pm #

These are beautiful and inspiring!

4. Sergio Davila CastellonDecember 24, 2009 at 2:34 am #

Hi, Ursula:

All your photos are beautiful, fine detail,good contrasts and clear images. Some of your gray and earth landscapes seem even poetic. You have done a terrific job!

Sergio Davila Castellon

5. amandaJanuary 25, 2010 at 4:00 am #

gorgeous images! wow. do you know about the infrared tutorials here?
    I’m interested in getting them, some of the photos look similar to yours. I want to learn how to do this.

thanks

amanda

• Wayne CosshallJanuary 25, 2010 at 4:33 am #

Thanks Amanda.

No I hadn’t seen those tutorials. Mind you from the hard sell I was expecting a set of steak knives as part of the deal when I got to the end of the page. Sadly, I hate this form of marketing and it tends to just put me off whatever is being sold that way, no matter how good it might be.

Have you checked out all the free tutorials on my site?

• amandaFebruary 26, 2010 at 2:27 am #

I know what you mean! But I guess it works – I just bought the book and the lessons. So far so good. I am really enjoying it.

There’s a lot of techniques in here that I haven’t seen on your site, or anywhere else. I am quite pumped about this IR stuff now!!!

• Wayne CosshallFebruary 26, 2010 at 6:21 am #

Excellent. If you are getting something from it that is great.

IR is wonderful

6. DilawarAugust 18, 2010 at 9:11 am #

Nice Shots..And thnx for the tips as well :)