Opens for entries 1 June 2012
01 June 2012: The 2013 Sony World Photography Awards, organised by the World Photography Organisation (WPO), are now open for entries.
Each year the Sony World Photography Awards uncover and celebrate the very best in international contemporary photography. To date, over 430,000 photographs from 178 countries have been submitted. Free to enter and judged by leading figures of the photography community, the awards bring worldwide recognition and exposure to its winning and shortlisted photographers. Previous winners include Alejandro Chaskielberg, Simon Norfolk, Paolo Pellegrin, Robin Hammond, Rena Effendi, David Zimmerman and the 2012 L’Iris d’Or recipient, US photographer Mitch Dobrowner.
Widely recognised as the leading global photographic awards programme, the 2013 Sony World Photography Awards include:
· Professional competition for serious photographers
· Open competition for amateurs and enthusiasts
· Student Focus for higher education photography students aged 18-28
· Youth competition for photographers under 20
· Moving Image Award for those experimenting with film and narrative formats
· 3D Award for anyone using 3D technology in photography or video
The competitions close on 4 January 2013, with the exception of the Professional competition which will close on 9 January 2013. All entries will be judged anonymously by a panel of prestigious photography professionals from the World Photographic Academy. The shortlist will be announced in February and the winners will be revealed at a glittering awards ceremony in London in late April 2013.
The winner of the L’Iris d’Or Sony World Photography Awards Professional Photographer of the Year title will be presented with $25,000 (USD) and the Open Photographer of the Year will receive $5,000 (USD). All winners, including category winners, will receive the latest digital imaging equipment from Sony. The Student Focus winner will receive €40,000 (Euros) worth of digital imaging equipment from Sony for their university. A full list of rules and prizes for each competition can be found at www.worldphoto.org
All winners, plus many shortlisted photographers, will receive an exhibition of their work at London’s spectacular Somerset House from April – May 2013. The exhibition is part of World Photo London, WPO’s month-long celebration of photography and moving image, which returns to Somerset House for the third consecutive year.
The WPO will also feature the winning work across its website, through international exhibitions and inside the annual Sony World Photography Awards hardcover book.
Scott Gray, Managing Director of the World Photography Organisation, said: “Each year we are astonished at the quality, and volume, of entries. It is fantastic to see such a variety of imagery taken from photographers around the world. We look forward to welcoming this year’s entries into a programme that is built to support those photographers and show their work to a worldwide audience.”
Further details about the Sony World Photography Awards and the World Photography Organisation can be found at www.worldphoto.org
2013 Sony World Photography Awards – full list of competitions
PROFESSIONAL COMPETITION (for serious photographers)
- Arts & Culture
- Contemporary Issues
- Current Affairs
- Fashion & Beauty
- Nature & Wildlife
- Still Life
OPEN COMPETITION (for amateurs and enthusiasts)
- Nature & Wildlife
- Arts & Culture
- Split second
YOUTH COMPETITION (for photographers under 20)
MOVING IMAGE AWARD (for those experimenting with moving image narrative formats)
- Photojournalism & Documentary
3D AWARD (for anyone using 3D technology in photography or video)
- 3D Photography
- 3D Video
STUDENT FOCUS (for higher education photography students aged 18-28)
- Brief for 2013 is ‘Celebrations’
· All competitions will open on Friday 1 June 2012 and will close on Friday 4 January 2013 at 23.59GMT except the Professional competition which will close on Wednesday 9 January 2013 at 23.59GMT
· All competitions are free to enter and all images submitted must have been shot in 2012. Photographers may enter either the Professional or Open competition; it is not possible to enter both. Full conditions of entry are available at www.worldphoto.org
· Images from the 2012 Sony World Photography Awards are available via the World Photography Organisation press centre. Please contact Jill Cotton at WPO for access
· Created by the World Photography Organisation (WPO), the World Photography Awards, sponsored by Sony, launched in 2007. WPO supports professional, amateur and student photography, lending a global platform for the photographic industry to communicate, converge and showcase current trends in Photojournalism, Fine Art and Commercial photography. Delivering various initiatives and programmes across this global community, these programmes involve the photographer in commercial, cultural and educational activities within the many industry sectors, whilst also creating cultural activities for the public to participate in. Currently included within the WPO portfolio are the World Photography Student Focus Competition; the World Photo international festivals and events, and the World Photography Focus Programme.
· Sony is a leading global innovator of audio, video, communications and information technology products for both the consumer and professional markets. Sony is renowned for its audio-visual products, such as the BRAVIA™ LCD high-definition (HD) television, Cyber-shot™ digital camera, Handycam® camcorder, “α” (pronounced Alpha) digital SLR camera, and Walkman® MP3 player as well as its VAIO™ personal computers and 3D HD professional broadcast equipment. Offering a complete end-to-end 3D value chain and with its electronics, music, pictures, game and online businesses, Sony is one of the world’s leading digital entertainment brands, employing approximately 170,000 people worldwide.
Through its long-term football partnerships as an official sponsor of the UEFA Champions League, Official FIFA Partner and global sponsor of the FIFA World Cup™, Sony is inspiring a sense of excitement for the millions of football fans around the world.
For more information on Sony Europe, please visit http://www.sony-europe.com and http://www.sony-europe.com/presscenter
“Sony”, “WALKMAN”, “VAIO”, “Cyber-shot”, “Handycam”, “α”, “BRAVIA” and “XDCAM” are registered trademarks or trademarks of Sony Corporation. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners