Nikon introduces new standard zoom NIKKOR lens with constant high f/2.8 aperture
Nikon Australia is pleased to announce the introduction of a new standard AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR lens with constant f/2.8 aperture to further strengthen its zoom lens lineup. This new lens, together with the simultaneously introduced ultra-wideangle AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, and the existing AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED telephoto zoom lens, is part of an exclusive Nikon high-performance zoom lens system featuring the high f/2.8 aperture and covering a focal range of 14 mm to 200 mm.
The AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED is a standard 2.9x zoom lens with a highly practical wide angle to medium-telephoto focal range, offering maximum versatility to accommodate everything from tight portraits to expansive scenes. With compact dimensions of Ø83 x 133 mm/Ø3.3 x 5.2 in. and a low weight of approx. 900 g/31.7 oz. it provides superb handling and outstanding portability.
The superior functioning of the newly developed optical system ensures flawless synchronization with Nikon’s digital SLRs. The design – featuring ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements for minimal chromatic aberration, and aspherical lenses including large-diameter PGM (Precision Glass Molding) element to eliminate coma and other types of aberration even at the widest aperture- delivers brilliant overall optical performance. Nano Crystal Coat, extra-low refractive index coating, virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections across a wide range of wavelengths, and is particularly effective in reducing ghosting and flare.
Other important features include Nikon’s Super Integrated Coating that minimizes reflection in the wider wavelength range to ensure superior color balance and reproduction. Nikon’s exclusive SWM (Silent Wave Motor), incorporated in the lens body, ensures fast, quiet autofocus operation. M/A mode lets users switch quickly from automatic to manual focusing, even during AF servo operation, with virtually no time lag. The rounded diaphragm opening makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural. A flower-shaped bayonet hood is supplied.
The lens barrel is designed for secure holding, with zoom and focusing rings of the optimal diameter for smooth rotation, and rubber-coated to provide comfortable operation while ensuring ample ruggedness.
This new zoom lens is the latest addition to an already formidable lineup, offering photographers enhanced shooting flexibility.
Note: Specifications, design, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
* Constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 at all focal lengths
* Enhanced optical formulas, engineered to produce exceptional sharpness, contrast and color, render outstanding image integrity
* ED (Extra-low dispersion) glass elements minimize chromatic aberration to deliver stunning sharpness and contrast
* Aspherical lenses including large-diameter PGM element eliminate various types oflens aberration even at the widest aperture
* Nano Crystal Coat virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections, effectively reducing ghosting and flare
* High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating offers superior color reproduction, while minimizing ghosting and flare
* IF (Internal Focusing) enables focusing without changing the length of lens barrel
* Nikon’s exclusive Silent Wave Motor for fast, quiet autofocus operation
* Rounded diaphragm opening (9 blades) makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural
* 0.38 m/1.2 ft. closest focusing distance with focal length 35-50 mm
* Filter attachment size of 77 mm
* M/A mode enables instant switching from autofocus to manual focus, even during AF servo operation, with virtually no time lag
* Dedicated flower-shaped lens hood effectively minimizes stray light
* Lens barrel is built for comfortable holding while featuring a rugged design; zoom and focusing rings provide smooth operation
* Engineered to Nikon professional D-SLR standards to effectively resist dust and moisture
AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Specifications
Focal length 24-70 mm
Maximum aperture f/2.8
Minimum aperture f/22
Lens construction 15 elements in 11 groups (with 3 ED glass elements, 3 aspherical lenses and one Nano Crystal Coat)
Picture angle 84° – 34°20′
(61° – 22°50′ with DX-format camera)
Closest focus distance 0.38 m/1.2 ft. (with focal length 35-50 mm)
Maximum reproduction ratio 1/3.7
No. of diaphragm blades 9 (rounded)
Filter/attachment size 77mm
Focusing Internal Focusing (IF) system; autofocus with a built-in SWM and manual focus
Diameter x length
(extension from lens mount) Approx. 83 x 133 mm/3.3 x 5.2 in.
Weight Approx. 900 g/31.7 oz.
Supplied accessories Bayonet Hood HB-40, Semi-soft Case CL-M3
Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
©2007 Nikon Corporation