Nikon introduces new ultra-wideangle, high-speed zoom NIKKOR lens
Nikon Australia is pleased to announce the introduction of the new AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR lens with the world’s first 14 mm focal length for f/2.8 to further strengthen its zoom lens lineup. This new wideangle lens, together with the simultaneously introduced medium-range AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, and the existing AF-S Zoom-Nikkor VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED telephoto zoom lens, is part of an exclusive Nikon high-performance zoom lens system featuring the high f/2.8 aperture and covering a focal range of 14 mm to 200 mm.
This new zoom lens offers a full range of professional features to provide superior overall performance. In addition to the fast maximum aperture of f/2.8 at all focal lengths, it features a short closest-focusing distance of 0.28 m/0.9 ft. with focal length 18-24mm. It’s an ideal lens for both photojournalism and general photographic needs.
The superb functioning of the newly developed optical system ensures flawless synchronization with Nikon’s digital SLRs. The design – featuring ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements for minimal chromatic aberration, and aspherical lenses including large-diameter PGM (Precision Glass Molding) elements to eliminate coma and other types of aberration even at the widest aperture – provide higher resolution and well-balanced aberration correction. Nano Crystal Coat, extra-low refractive index coating, virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections across a wide range of wavelengths, and is particularly effective in reducing ghosting and flare.
Other important features include Nikon’s Super Integrated Coating that minimizes reflection in the wider wavelength range to ensure superior color balance and reproduction. Nikon’s exclusive SWM (Silent Wave Motor), incorporated in the lens body, ensures fast, quiet autofocus operation. M/A mode lets users switch quickly from automatic to manual focusing, even during AF servo operation, with virtually no time lag. The rounded diaphragm opening makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural. A fixed-type flower-shaped bayonet hood is supplied.
The lens barrel is designed for secure holding, with zoom and focusing rings of the optimal diameter for smooth rotation, and rubber-coated to provide comfortable operation while ensuring ample ruggedness.
This new ultra-wideangle, high-speed zoom lens is a significant addition to the NIKKOR lens lineup, offering serious photographers enhanced shooting flexibility for a broad range of applications.
Specifications, design, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
* Constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 at all focal lengths
* Enhanced optical formulas, engineered to produce exceptional sharpness, contrast and color, render outstanding image integrity
* ED (Extra-low dispersion) glass elements minimize chromatic aberration to deliver stunning sharpness and contrast
* Aspherical lenses including large-diameter PGM elements eliminate various types of lens aberration even at the widest aperture
* Nano Crystal Coat virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections, effectively reducing ghosting and flare.
* High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating provides superior color reproduction, while minimizing ghosting and flare
* IF (Internal Focusing) enables focusing without changing the length of lens barrel
* Nikon’s exclusive Silent Wave Motor for fast, quiet autofocus operation
* Rounded diaphragm opening (9 blades) makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural
* 0.28 m/0.9 ft. closest focusing distance with focal length 18-24 mm
* M/A mode enables instant switching from autofocus to manual focus, even during AF servo operation, with virtually no time lag
* Dedicated flower-shaped lens hood effectively minimizes stray light
* Lens barrel is built for comfortable holding while featuring a rugged design; zoom and focusing rings provide smooth operation
* Engineered to Nikon professional D-SLR standards to effectively resist dust and moisture
AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Specifications
Focal length 14-24 mm
Maximum aperture f/2.8
Minimum aperture f/22
Lens construction 14 elements in 11 groups (with 2 ED glass elements, 3 aspherical lenses and one Nano Crystal Coat)
Picture angle 114° – 84° (90° – 61° with DX-format camera)
Closest focus distance 0.28 m/0.9 ft. (with focal length 18-24 mm)
Maximum reproduction ratio 1/6.7
No. of diaphragm blades 9 (rounded)
Focusing Internal Focusing (IF) system; autofocus with a built-in SWM and manual focus
Diameter x length
(extension from lens mount) Approx. 98 x 131.5 mm/3.9 x 5.2 in.
Weight Approx. 1,000 g/35.3 oz.
Supplied accessories Semi-soft Case CL-M3
Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
©2007 Nikon Corporation