Enhanced “Live View” photography with “High-Speed Imager AF,” Image stabilised shooting at up to 33x* with Olympus ZUIKO Digital lenses
Olympus Imaging Corporation (President: Masaharu Okubo) has today announced the launch of the E-520, the latest addition to the Olympus E-System of digital SLR cameras. With a built-in sensor shift image stabilisation mechanism functional at up to 33x* when used with Olympus ZUIKO digital lenses, the E-520 is scheduled for release in Australia in June, 2008. Pricing is yet to be announced.
· Powerful built-in image stabiliser with compensation up to 4 EV steps*. Image stabilised shooting at magnifications up to 33x over a wide range of focal lengths.
· Enhanced Live View shooting with High-Speed Imager AF that makes shooting as easy as using a compact digital camera.
· Face Detect and Shadow Adjust Technology optimises auto focus and auto exposure on faces and background simultaneously.
· New, advanced 10-megapixel Live MOS Sensor and TruePic III image processing engine.
A new and improved version of the E-510 digital SLR camera (released in June 2007), the E-520 features a powerful built-in image stabilisation mechanism that shifts the image sensor to compensate for camera shake. Combined with an impressive array of versatile functions, the E-520 now makes it easier than ever for photographers to take the exact photographs they intended. The image stabilisation system incorporated in the E-520 uses Supersonic Wave Drive (SWD) actuators to shift the image sensor and compensate for camera shake by up 4 EV steps**. Compatible with any Four Thirds System standard lens, the E-520 delivers image stabilised shooting at up to 33x magnification across a wide range of focusing distances: from 18mm (35mm camera equivalent) super-wide-angle to 600mm (35mm camera equivalent) super telephoto. To achieve this performance, simply combine the E-520 with a Four-Thirds standard lens such as the newly announced Olympus ZUIKO Digital ED 9-18mm f4.0-5.6, the Olympus ZUIKO Digital ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 or Olympus ZUIKO Digital ED 40-500mm f4.0-5.6, and Olympus ZUIKO Digital ED 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 super telephoto zoom lens.
The E-520 also incorporates the same High-Speed Imager AF initially unveiled on the E-420 (released in March 2008). This sophisticated auto focus system uses contrast detection to deliver fast, accurate focusing to improve the ease and comfort of Live View shooting. In addition, the E-520 boasts Olympus’s sophisticated new Face Detect & Shadow Adjust Technology that can detect up to eight separate faces and optimise the exposure of both faces and background simultaneously. This solution delivers beautiful portrait or group shots, in which both the faces of the subjects and the background are clear, sharp and optimally exposed.
All of this performance and versatility is incorporated in a compact, lightweight body. With the new 10-megapixel Live MOS Sensor with improved dynamic range, and the TruePic III image processing engine, the E-520 offers the same outstanding quality as the E-3, Olympus’ widely praised flagship model. Providing simplicity, convenience and excellent portability, the E-520 is a great choice for first time digital SLR users. Its powerful feature-set and superb picture quality will also satisfy the photography enthusiast.
Setting a new Digital SLR Development Philosophy
After extensive research and development to continue the pursuit of imaging excellence through technological innovation, Olympus entered the next evolution of the Olympus E-System in 2007 with the release of the E-410, E-510 and the flagship E-3. Designed exclusively for digital, the E-System continues to set new benchmarks for professional image quality, performance, mobility, and reliability thanks to compact, lightweight designs supported by innovative industry first features such as the advanced Dust Reduction System. The E-510 and E-3 represented new breakthroughs in effective image stabilisation provided by a built-in solution, while all models incorporate Live View – a first for the digital SLR market.
The E-520 offers major improvements in Live View and uses a powerful new 10-megapixel sensor to deliver superb picture quality. With face detection and a High-Speed Imager AF, Live View is now easier to use and performs more reliably. The new 10-megapixel Live MOS Sensor follows the principles inspired by the E-3 with a greatly improved dynamic range to deliver more accurate reproduction of details with natural, vivid colours.
The built-in image stabilisation capability of the E-520 is now even more effective. When combined with the Olympus ZUIKO Digital ED 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 lens, image-stabilised super-telephoto shooting at 600mm (35mm camera equivalent) is possible. The newly announced Olympus ZUIKO ED 9-18mm f4.0-5.6 lens enables image-stabilised super-wide-angle shooting of 18mm (35mm camera equivalent).In addition, handheld super-telephoto shooting of a distant subject with a compressed effect as well wide-angle shooting of city lights at night is also possible.
The E-520 also offers:
· Olympus’ internationally acclaimed Dust Reduction System
· Fast 3.5 frames-per-sec. sequential shooting
· Built-in flash with wireless flash control
· New large 2.7-inch HyperCrystal II LCD monitor with improved visibility in Live View shooting and picture playback
· “Perfect Shot Preview” function to compare the results of various effects before actual shooting
· Continuous AF mode with improved focus tracking
· Super Control Panel with excellent visibility and operability
· Large ergonomic grip that fits the hand and direct-access buttons for quick setup
* When used in combination with one of Olympus’ four Standard Series lenses – the Olympus ZUIKO Digital ED 9-18mm f4.0-5.6, the Olympus ZUIKO Digital ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6, the Olympus ZUIKO Digital ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 or the Olympus ZUIKO Digital ED 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 super telephoto zoom lens, the E-520’s image stabilisation is effective across a wide range of focal lengths from super-wide-angle of 18mm (35mm camera equivalent) to super telephoto of 600mm (35mm camera equivalent), with magnifications up to 33x.
** Under Olympus in-house test conditions.
Olympus Imaging Australia Pty Ltd is a subsidiary of Olympus Corporation, headquartered in Japan. Olympus Imaging Australia is responsible for the marketing and distribution of Olympus consumer products in Australia and through Olympus agents and dealers in New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Tahiti and the South Pacific region.
Olympus Imaging Australia encompasses a broad range of imaging products from digital and film cameras designed for photographers of all levels. Our mission is to deliver innovative products that fit into everyday lifestyles, enabling customers to explore their world. www.olympus.com.au